Smoke Unit via Servo Output?

Soundmodul und Fahrtregler in einem Modul
Antworten
MattMPA

Smoke Unit via Servo Output?

Beitrag von MattMPA »

Good day! Thinking of putting a smoke unit in my current truck build. One similar to the link below.

On a "normal" install, I'd connect power through the battery plug - then put a "y" cable on my throttle channel to control how much smoke is put out.

However, with the SFR1, I have a built-in speed controller. My thinking was that I could connect the servo cable from the smoke unit to a servo output on the SFR1, set to "speed". Assuming the smoke output would then match the speed/throttle of the truck.

If I understand the smoke unit correctly, it only uses the servo type connector to control the fan speed via receiver power. I assume this makes it "safe" for the SFR1 to control and power.

I'd also like a way to completely shut the smoke off when not wanted. (Like in the house)

Finally, I have read in the manual about using one of the SFR1 outputs for the smoke generator....but don't quite understand how to wire that to a servo type cable that comes with the smoke unit.

Thankful for thoughts.

: https://www.amazon.com/Simulation-Exhau ... 138&sr=8-1
Rascal

Re: Smoke Unit via Servo Output?

Beitrag von Rascal »

Hello Matt,
MattMPA hat geschrieben: Mi 1. Mai 2024, 14:14 However, with the SFR1, I have a built-in speed controller. My thinking was that I could connect the servo cable from the smoke unit to a servo output on the SFR1, set to "speed". Assuming the smoke output would then match the speed/throttle of the truck.
It seems that "Conversion board" has a built-in ESC, so that should work, but ...
If I understand the smoke unit correctly, it only uses the servo type connector to control the fan speed via receiver power. I assume this makes it "safe" for the SFR1 to control and power.
to be sure please contact the seller and ask him to confirm the voltage and current / power consumption of the servo connection. The internal BEC of the SFR-1 outputs 5.6V, so the conversion board must be able to handle that.

Also check if the conversion board has a BEC, too. In that case the red wire of the servo cable going to the SFR-1 (or to the receiver) must be removed and insulated.
I'd also like a way to completely shut the smoke off when not wanted. (Like in the house)
In that case you can use an output of the SFR-1 to switch a relay (don't forget the flyback diode) that switches battery power to the smoker on/off.
Finally, I have read in the manual about using one of the SFR1 outputs for the smoke generator....but don't quite understand how to wire that to a servo type cable that comes with the smoke unit.
It's not meant for smoke units with servo cable, that would not work using any of the switching outputs. But there are smokers that have just one pair of wires (heater and fan combined) or those with 2 pairs (heater and fan separately wired).
They can be controlled by one or two outputs of the SFR-1 without the need of an ESC or some "conversion board".
MattMPA

Re: Smoke Unit via Servo Output?

Beitrag von MattMPA »

Thanks very much!

Thinking a little more about this, and wondering how I can make it smoke at “idle”. Perhaps a different unit that works via the outputs is better. Will do some research.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a good smoke unit? Will be going into a Tamiya truck….
Antworten