Sound setup for a excavator

Soundmodul für Fahrgeräusche (speziell für RC-Modelle). Der Nachfolger des USM-RC
waqr

Sound setup for a excavator

Beitrag von waqr »

Hi!

I just bought this soundmodule and have been watcing youtube to learn how to set it up. I have seen this video which is really good but in this video he only has sounds for the engine and tracks. I also want to have sounds for the rasing / lowering the arm and curling the bucket. How do I set this up?

Many thanks!

https://youtu.be/bhTIBk67mFA
Rascal

Re: Sound setup for a excavator

Beitrag von Rascal »

Hello,

to answer your question we require some additional information:
1. What transmitter are you using and does it have mixers? Are you using S-BUS, SUMD or i-Bus, or just Prop #1 to #4 to control the sound module?
2. What is your engine sound configuration (1 or 2 motors, averaged or with steering on Prop #2)?
3. The sound for raising / curling the arm and curling the bucket is the same or different?
waqr

Beitrag von waqr »

Thanks for the reply.

I have the follwing setup:

- Flysky FS-i6s and I will use a S-Bus config
- Project from soundunit is Bagger Volvo
- Standard config with 2 motors (average of 2 motor speeds)
- It could def be the same sound for raising the arm and curling the bucket but I don`t know where I can find this sound since it is not in the standard Volvo program that I downloaded from the soundmodule. I would also like to have a sound for when I rotate / turn the machine (not the tracks but the cabin itself)

For the tracks I used a tracksound from a Panther tank and put this under additional sounds. I assume I will have to do the same for the rotating and bucket curling sounds aswell?

Here is a video where he has sound for all functions:

https://youtu.be/zPItn8Tp6ZA
Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

Hello,

perhaps you can find a sound from other projects on the DVD / USB-Stick, or check from the Sound-Teacher:
  • File > Download sounds from the internet
  • File > Open Sound-Center
Another option is creating a soundfile by recording it yourself or grabbing it from YT and using Audacity to edit the sound and save it in the correct file format. See also these guidelines (it's in German but you can run it through a translator).

Since Prop #1 and #2 are used for engine sound let's use Prop #3 for the arm and bucket sound:
1. Mix the channels for arm movement and bucket curling to one channel, and assign that channel to the S-Bus (e.g. S-Bus Ch. 7)
2. Assign the sound file to an Additional sound slot, e.g. "Additional Sound 3"
3. Under Configuration > S-Bus/SUMD assign S-BUS Ch. 7 to Prop #3
4. Under Configuration > Proportional channels > Prop #3 add "Additional sound 3" to areas A and D in column "In position (static)"; you can use the blue squares in the graphic on the left to increase the size of the areas so that the sound will start earlier after leaving neutral position

For rotating the cabin I see two options:
1. Increase the RPM of the engine sound via the "Engine sound rpm change" function; this would need to be triggered manually or automatically similar to the "Additional sound" above by using Prop #4
2. Use Engine sound 2 to play a sound with proportional speed according to the stick movement via Prop #4

You may also consider to use only the RPM change by mixing 3 channels to 1 and then assign the function "Engine sound rpm change" to Prop #3 instead of "Additional sound 3" (which will not be needed then).
waqr

Beitrag von waqr »

Thank you very much for the reply. I have tried this evening to get this to work but it is complicated and I am a noobie at this. The only sound I can get to work is the on/off sound of the motor.

So maybe we can take this from the start. My setup is as stated earlier:

- Flysky FS-i6s and I use a S-Bus config
- Project from soundunit is Bagger Volvo
- Standard config with 2 motors (average of 2 motor speeds)

On my Flysky I have it setup like this:

Ch 1 Bucket curl
Ch 2 Main boom
Ch 3 Stick
Ch 4 rotation

In the soundmodule I have activated the S-config and also in the radio. Standard sound that I want is:

Engine on/off (this i have set to a switch and I have this on prop ch 8 in the module)
I also want to have track sounds and the possiblity to increase the idle on the motor with a 3 way switch.

However, nothing works at the moment except for the motor on/off. See video of my setting.

Please help me to understand to what prop channels I should assign the different sounds so that it works.

https://youtu.be/GWo1LayXSmI

Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

Hello,

please upload the project file (*.usm), that's easier for me to work with than the video. Some more questions:

1. The 4 channels you listed above are channels on the transmitter or S-Bus channels?
2. What is "channel 3 Stick"?
3. To play the engine sound with two motors averaged you need two throttle channels (left and right track) - where are those?

I suggest to put the track sound under "Additional sound 3" since it doesn't require start/loop/stop.

And forget what I said about the mixer above, with S-Bus you should have enough channels available. :)
waqr

Beitrag von waqr »

Thanks again for all your help, really appreciate it :)

- The 4 channels listed are the ones in my radio. Forgot about channel 5 and 6 and these are assigned for the tracks :)
- Ch 3 stick, by this I mean the movement of the boom to where the bucket is attached to (sorry for my bad explanations)

What you do mean by uploading the project file. How do I do that?
waqr

Beitrag von waqr »

Is this the correct file?
Dateianhänge
CAT.usm
(38.31 KiB) 90-mal heruntergeladen
Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

Hi,

thanks, that is the correct file.

Since I am not familiar with your transmitter can you check if the channel number are the same, i.e. channel 1 is also S-Bus channel 1, and so forth?
I will assume this to be the case in the examples below but it can be easily changed later if required.

1. Let's write down the mapping of each channel:

Ch 1: Bucket curl > Prop #4 > additional sound 4 (bucket.wav)
Ch 2: Main boom > Prop #5 > additional sound 5 (boom.wav)
Ch 3: Stick > no function
Ch 4: rotation > Prop #3 > Engine sound 2
Ch 5: track left > Prop #1 > Engine sound 1 (averaged)
Ch 6: track right > Prop #2 > Engine sound 2 (averaged)
Ch 7: not used
Ch 8: switch > Prop #8 > Engine sound on/off *
Ch 9: 3-way switch > Prop #9 > Engine sound rpm change *
Ch 10: mixed from ch 5&6 > Prop #10 > additional sound 3 (track.wav)

For the track sound you need to set up a mixer in the transmitter so that the signal on Ch 10 in area A and/or D is only send when the tracks run at different speeds. Refer to your transmitter's manual for this.

* You could combine these two functions to one momentary 3-way switch if available, e.g. upper position for "Engine sound on/off" and lower position for "Engine sound rpm change".

2. Map the S-Bus channels to the Prop channels according to the list above under Configuration > S-Bus/SUMD.

usm1.png
usm1.png (121.63 KiB) 3038 mal betrachtet

3. Add the sound files to the Additional sounds:

usm2.png
usm2.png (101.71 KiB) 3038 mal betrachtet

4. Configure Engine sound 2:

usm3.png
usm3.png (79.2 KiB) 3038 mal betrachtet

Sound files here are just examples (same as Engine sound 1 actually).

usm4.png
usm4.png (58.92 KiB) 3038 mal betrachtet

5. Configure Prop #4

usm5.png
usm5.png (90.13 KiB) 3038 mal betrachtet

6. Configure Prop #5

See 5. but using "Additional sound 5"

7. Configure Prop #8

Same as you already did

8. Configure Prop #9

usm6.png
usm6.png (89.03 KiB) 3038 mal betrachtet

9. Configure Prop #10

usm7.png
usm7.png (90.14 KiB) 3038 mal betrachtet
waqr

Beitrag von waqr »

Many thanks. I have looked in the manual but can`t find any info on the S-bus channels so I have to assume they are the same.

I do have some additional question that I need to understand.

- Where can I find bucket and boom sounds in the module? As I can see there are only 3 Baggers available and none of them have any sounds for this as I can choose from in the meny.

- I can`t find any info on how to mix ch 10 in the radio for the tracks. Also in the videos I have seen they just assign 9 and 10 to the tracks and they do not do any mixing in the radio. See attached video (from 7min - approx 11 min into the video)

- For the change of engine idle speed (prop 9) Where do I configure the different % setting of the engine sound for the 3 way switch? For example idle sound at top pos, 20 % increase for mid pos and additional 10 % increase when switch is to the lowest / third position?

Also, would it be easier to Skype or communicate in another way where I maybe can share my desktop so you can see what I do?

https://youtu.be/bhTIBk67mFA
Antworten