Combine light settings

Soundmodul und Fahrtregler in einem Modul
Peterbilt379

Combine light settings

Beitrag von Peterbilt379 »

Greetings from Memphis,Tn
I have the Sfr1 setup in my 379. I have 8 tail lights on my rear bumper. I have 4 set as brake lights and 2 for left turn and 2 for right turn. I want all my rear lights to stay on while driving as i release the brakes. Is there a wasy to accomplish this? Also, is there a way to change the "combine" light settings?

Thanks,

Rob
Rascal

Re: Combine light settings

Beitrag von Rascal »

Hello Rob,
Peterbilt379 hat geschrieben: Mo 31. Okt 2022, 00:24 I have the Sfr1 setup in my 379. I have 8 tail lights on my rear bumper. I have 4 set as brake lights and 2 for left turn and 2 for right turn. I want all my rear lights to stay on while driving as i release the brakes. Is there a wasy to accomplish this?
You will need to switch on the parking lights and configure the outputs for the tail lights as follows:
  • The 4 brake lights as "Combined Rear Light" with Option 2 at 0% (note: intensity values are added together), and
  • The indicator lights as "Combined American rear light left" and "Combined American rear light right" with Option 1 at 0% (note: intensity values are not added together), or
  • The indicator lights as "Indicator left" and "Indicator right" and activate output option "American indicator mode"
Note:
  • The indicators are independent of the brakes, so they would always be on when not indicating, unless if you
  • Use "Combined American rear light left/right" if they should also act as brake light (Option 2) or if you don't want the front/side indicators (output type "Indicator left/right") to stay on while driving
If you don't want to switch on the parking lights manually you can either activate the parking lights in Step 0 of the Light Switch (Configuration > Outputs > Light Switch) or via the "Startup function" (Configuration > General > Module configuration), though in the latter case you must then not use the function "Parking light" else you may switch them off and they won't turn on again automatically until the next power cycle.

If you also have parking lights at the front and you don't want them to be on all the time you have to change them to another output type (e.g. Daytime running lights with output option "Daytime running light via light switch").
Also, is there a way to change the "combine" light settings?
Change them how, i.e. what would you like to achieve?
Peterbilt379

I was batting in the right ballpark then. Thank you so much for that information. I am going to program it up and see what happens, i'm sure its something small i am overlooking.

Thanks,

Rob
Peterbilt379

Note:
The indicators are independent of the brakes, so they would always be on when not indicating, unless if you
Use "Combined American rear light left/right" if they should also act as brake light (Option 2) or if you don't want the front/side indicators (output type "Indicator left/right") to stay on while driving

I did a stare and compare of your instructions and my current program....all works fine with the tail lights. I have the Rear Fog lights on a switch and when I release the throttle, the Brake lights go off and the fog lights go on as dim driving lights..All Good.

What I can't figure is how to keep my turn signals on while driving and still act as turn signal. This is my current configuration:

Option 1 Option 2
Intensity Brake light Intensity Indicator
Combined Am Rear Light LF 100% 80 100
Combined Am Rear Light RT 100% 80 100
Brake Intensity Intensity Rear Fog Light
Combine Rear Light 100% 80 100

I apologize if I missed something in your instructions earlier

Thanks,

Rob
Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

Hello Rob,

you have to switch on the parking lights:
You will need to switch on the parking lights ...

[...]

If you don't want to switch on the parking lights manually you can either activate the parking lights [permanently] in Step 0 of the Light Switch (Configuration > Outputs > Light Switch) or via the "Startup function" (Configuration > General > Module configuration), though in the latter case you must then not use the function "Parking light" else you may switch them off and they won't turn on again automatically until the next power cycle.

If you also have parking lights at the front and you don't want them to be on all the time you have to change them to another output type (e.g. Daytime running lights with output option "Daytime running light via light switch").
If you control the lights of the truck via the functions "Light switch +/-" also activate the parking light in all other steps of the Light switch table.
Output type: Intensity Parking light / Intensity Brake light / Intensity Indicator
Combined Am Rear Light LF: 100% / 80 / 100
Combined Am Rear Light RT: 100% / 80 / 100
This makes the turn light also a brake light since Option 1 is set to 80[%]. If you don't want that use 0[%] for Option 1.
Combine Rear Light 100% 80 100
This configuration does not make much sense since the values are summed to 280% but the output can't be any brighter than 100%.
Furthermore you won't see any difference between the parking light (when switched on) and rear fog light since the parking light will set the output to 100% already. Ditto for the brake light when the parking light is on. More reasonable values would be e.g. 20 / 50 / 30.

If you still have any issues please attach the project file (*.sfr) as follows:
Reply to message, then click
- Dateianhaenge
- Dateien hinzufuegen
- select the *.sfr file and click "Open"
Peterbilt379

Thank you, I will do that.

Rob
Dateianhänge
YellaPete_1NOV22.sfr
(41.14 KiB) 53-mal heruntergeladen
Peterbilt379

My apologies if I am asking my question in the wrong way. Maybe this will help explain what I am asking for. Please see the attached pics. what I want is for the two outside lights to act as Daytime running lights and turn indicators. The 4 inner lights are working how I want them to. I'm sorry I don't quite understand the Light switch settings: Step 0, Step 1, Step 2, Step 3... and how they operate.

Thanks,

Rob
Dateianhänge
Combined Brake Light and Rear fog light
Combined Brake Light and Rear fog light
Tail lights_3.jpg (343.68 KiB) 1448 mal betrachtet
CBL and RFL with Brakes lights on
CBL and RFL with Brakes lights on
Tail lights_2.jpg (634.52 KiB) 1448 mal betrachtet
CBL and RFL with brake off in driving mode
CBL and RFL with brake off in driving mode
Tail lights.jpg (535.33 KiB) 1448 mal betrachtet
Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

Peterbilt379 hat geschrieben: Sa 5. Nov 2022, 05:14 what I want is for the two outside lights to act as Daytime running lights and turn indicators.
This is understood. But for this to work you need to switch on the parking light.

First set the brake light to 0 for output 12 and 13:

indicator1.png
indicator1.png (89 KiB) 1441 mal betrachtet

Now set the parking light to be permanently on by activating it in step 0 of the Light switch:

indicator2.png
indicator2.png (73.72 KiB) 1441 mal betrachtet

This will also switch on the light connected to output 9. If you don't want that use a different output type, e.g. "Low beam headlight" for output 9.
I'm sorry I don't quite understand the Light switch settings: Step 0, Step 1, Step 2, Step 3... and how they operate.
The Light switch works like a stepping switch in a car. E.g. in the initial position (Step 0) means (typically) all lights off, next position (Step 1) would switch on the parking lights, step 2 the low beam, step 3 the low and high beam and so on.

The Light switch can have up to 6 positive steps ("Steps +:"); ignore the negative steps ("Steps -:") to keep things simple, it's mainly used for military vehicles.
In the Light switch table you can freely select which lights are switched on or off in each step.

The light switch is triggered via the "Light switch+" and "Light switch-" functions, so a single 3-way momentary switch would be enough to switch all lights on and off.
You can however still switch the lights directly via their respective functions (e.g. "Low beam headlight", "Front fog light" ....), too.

Use of the light switch is optional but Step 0 is always active!

---------

I noticed in your configuration that you are activating most of the lights via function "Output X" rather than the actual light function. Note that this may not achieve the desired result or lead to confusion at some point - when using "Output X" it overrides the light function and some light functions have dependencies that will not be triggered when using "Output X".

E.g. using function "Output 9" is not the same as function "Parking light" because the latter will also affect any output configured as "Daytime running light (left/right)", "Combined head light", "Combined rear light", "Combined american rear light left/right" and "Side markers".

Unless there is good reason to use "Output X" you should always use the light function instead.
Peterbilt379

I appreciate this explanation VERY much!!!. I was not sure how to use the light switch function. I am learning a lot about this unit....and I love it.
Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but once you grasp the concepts you can achieve nearly any function that you want. :)

BTW: With the latest software (V1.40a) comes a new output type called "Side marker light left/right", this works exactly the same as the "Combined American rear light left/right" but without the brake light option.

Check out these videos if you haven't seen them yet:
Beier SFR-1 Basics by RC Junky
Beier SFR-1 Speed Sound & Light Controller for Tamiya Semi Trucks by Hobbyconcepts-LLC (multiple parts)
Antworten