Problem with switching outputs (X13) on EXM-2

Das Erweiterungsmodul für unser Soundmodul USM-RC-2
Antworten
OlaNormann

Problem with switching outputs (X13) on EXM-2

Beitrag von OlaNormann »

We are 4 persons that wish to use USM-RC-2 in connection with EXM-2 on our ship models in order to control several functions on the models.
When all is wired as described in picture, and all components are switched on, the blue LEDs flash as expected. When the switch on transmitter (NMS-16-G) is activated, the output LED on X13/13 lights up OK, but both the USM-RC-2 and the EXM-2 locks, and the blue LED's shows continuous light. The red LED is off indicating no shortcircuit. When we remove the cable from X13/13, the modules are working again (and the blue LEDs flash).
We have experimented with several alternatives:
- 2 different MC-24 transmitters
- 3 different switch modules (NMS-16-G, NMS-24-G and Graupner 4108)
- 2 different Jeti receivers
- 3 different USM-RC-2's
- 2 different EXM-2's
Power supply is 6V. The LED and resistor is tested directly on the power supply first, and is OK.
The sound function related to engine 1 works fine connected to EXM-2. All 10 outputs on X13 are tested with the same. The other functions in EXM-2 are not tested.
Dateianhänge
Test layout
Test layout
Malfunction_EXM-2.jpg (79.46 KiB) 7037 mal betrachtet
Rascal

Re: Problem with switching outputs (X13) on EXM-2

Beitrag von Rascal »

All outputs on the USM and EXM switch negative (GND) potential. If the LED is connected as shown in the drawing it is wrongly installed and should be reversed. Since LEDs get easily damaged when used in reverse and the voltage exceeds a certain level it's possibly passing any current through now, although the resistor should limit the current. I would replace that LED just in case.

What's the resistor's value?

PS: Proper power-on sequence:
Transmitter
Receiver
USM/EXM

Power-off in reverse.
OlaNormann

Beitrag von OlaNormann »

I am sorry, I have drawn the diode the wrong way. It is of course mounted correct. The diode is red and ready made for 6V with a resistor hidden behind a shrink tube.... We have also tried relays (of course with freewheeling diodes), = "8K-Relais Platine" from CP Elektronik. The diode and the relays work perfect on the outputs of USM-RC-2.
Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

Ok, remove the LED please and just use a voltmeter between X13 output 13 and USM X1/8 - what voltages do you measure when the output is switched off and when it's switched on?
BEIER-Electronic Andy
Administrator

Beitrag von BEIER-Electronic Andy »

How many batteries do you use? If more than one, are the minus poles connected together?
OlaNormann

Beitrag von OlaNormann »

I will test the voltages on sunday.

We use 2 batteries, one for the modules og and one for the receiver. The minuses are not connected.
Strangely the USM-RC-2 outputs work fine, but not the EXM-2 outputs.
Oldchap

Beitrag von Oldchap »

It is very important that the minus poles of all used batteries are connected! Please follow the manual.
Gruß

Gerhard

Beitrag von OlaNormann »

Finally the EXM-2 works fine! The minuses was checked afterwards and it work both when they were connected and when they were apart.
The only thing I did before the outputs started working, was to define outputs (in the software) for the different lanterns. I had previously only defined switches for the different lantern-combinations (at anchor, aground etc). I find it strange that, when not having defined outputs for the lanterns, activation of other outputs makes the modules halt. Maybe there are some dependencies in the software?
One extra question: On one of our multiswitches (NMS-16-G) the IC (PIC16F690) is defect. Is it possible to order a replacement IC, and how do I do that?
Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

Glad to hear it works now. :)

I am sure Andy from Beier will check on this issue and provide a software fix if there is indeed a bug.
Antworten