The sbus connection has stopped working.

Soundmodul für Fahrgeräusche (speziell für RC-Modelle). Der Nachfolger des USM-RC
strusdoc

Re: The sbus connection has stopped working.

Beitrag von strusdoc »

Today a new receiver arrived, the s-bus worked without any problems, of course on the USM-RC-3, I did not dare to connect the new receiver to the RC-2.

It turns out that the USM-RC-2 has a defect which in turn damages the s-bus in the receivers, two pieces that I connected to it have been damaged. However, I can use the module and the receivers, because with a traditional connection, everything works ok

@ Rascal thank you for the hints.

For me, the power supply looks like this:

Beier and ESC have separate power supply, as the documentation advises, I have negative poles connected. The ESC has a built-in BEC that powers the receiver. The only connection between the USM-RC and the receiver is the S-BUS cable, I think everything should be ok.
BEIER-Electronic Andy
Administrator

Beitrag von BEIER-Electronic Andy »

As Rascal has already written, it is not technically possible for a USM-RC-2 to destroy a receiver.

The USM-RC-2 itself does not output any voltage at the prop. inputs. The inputs have a very high impedance of 10k / 47k ohms. Therefore, no large currents can flow to destroy a receiver.
strusdoc

Beitrag von strusdoc »

BEIER-Electronic Andy hat geschrieben: Fr 29. Apr 2022, 07:15 As Rascal has already written, it is not technically possible for a USM-RC-2 to destroy a receiver.

The USM-RC-2 itself does not output any voltage at the prop. inputs. The inputs have a very high impedance of 10k / 47k ohms. Therefore, no large currents can flow to destroy a receiver.
I understand everything, but something happened when the s-bus channels in two working receivers were damaged, the only connection to the USM-RC-2. I will not check now whether another receiver will be damaged after connecting, I will look for something cheap, maybe used to carry out another test with the USM-RC-2, maybe it will turn out that the s-bus works.

The whole situation is very strange, I don't have any additional BECs, there is only the one built into the ESC so theoretically nothing should happen. Maybe some electrostatic discharge was the reason, or bad luck and coincidence that two receivers were damaged ... I have no idea.

Thank you for the answers, I will write something more when I find a cheap receiver and check the USM-RC-2 again

Regards!

edit: Thanks for the inspiration, I thought and thought about me it dawned on, "the receivers broke up on their own"

I found a weak point in the receiver, it's a pcb track that connects the mass pin to the s-bus channel.

The path is ridiculously thin, I replaced the path with a wire and everything works.

I am very sorry that I said that the USM-RC-2 is faulty, the fault is clearly on the side of the poorly designed receiver board.
Dateianhänge
odbiornik foto.jpg
odbiornik foto.jpg (1.34 MiB) 1887 mal betrachtet
RayC

Beitrag von RayC »

Thanks for the background. I have the same problem and it shows up when I use sbus. I opened my receiver but I cannot see the same layout as in your photo. Ill have to get another receiver to see if a replacement fixed the problem.

My SFR1 gear arrived yesterday and I have been going demented trying to see whu it works without sbus and does not work with it.

Regards

Ray
Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

Hello Ray,

check out these video tutorials:

Beier SFR-1 Basics
Beier SFR-1 Speed Sound & Light Controller for Tamiya Semi Trucks (3 parts in total)

You can find even more tutorials on the SFR-1 product page.
RayC

Beitrag von RayC »

Thanks Rascal.
I am slowly coming around to the realisation that I might be the problem :D
I think my receiver is fine.

Is there a "Factory reset" option for the SFR1 or is starting a new project sufficient to reset the SFR1 so that it forgets the previous project? I am asking because I tried to start a new project from the Beier SFR1 usb stick and save it on a local folder with a new name. I am still setting the same problem I had with the previous project - a servo in the RX Channel 1 is getting constant activity and the blue light is flashing on the SFR1 - I am using SBUS

Thanks

Ray
Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

Hello Ray,
RayC hat geschrieben: Do 16. Feb 2023, 22:25 Is there a "Factory reset" option for the SFR1 or is starting a new project sufficient to reset the SFR1 so that it forgets the previous project?
Normally it is sufficient to save a new project but you may format the SD card to wipe all data. Just insert it into the PC and select SD card > Formatting SD card in the Sound-Teacher (ST) and confirm.
Then save the new project to the card using the ST, close the ST, eject the card from Windows and put it back into the SFR-1.
I am asking because I tried to start a new project from the Beier SFR1 usb stick and save it on a local folder with a new name.
You still need to transfer the project to the SFR-1, either via the SD card (see above) or via data cable if you have one available. Have you done that?

If it's the very first project or if the SD card has been formatted it needs to be done via the SD card first, only then you can use the data cable to change the configuration or save a new project to the SFR-1 via the cable.
I am still setting the same problem I had with the previous project - a servo in the RX Channel 1 is getting constant activity ...
Where exactly is the servo connected to?
... and the blue light is flashing on the SFR1 - I am using SBUS
If the blue LED is flashing fast it indicates that the SFR-1 receives a valid multiswitch or SBUS/SUMD signal, so everything should be fine while the green LED is permanently on.
But if the green LED flashes slowly you have to execute the "Setup (teaching function)" first, see the manual on page 16.

If you have a data cable you can check the signals coming in via SBUS using the live diagnosis, just open Data cable > Diagnosis via data cable. E.g. if you move the throttle stick the signal on Prop #1 should change accordingly.
If there is no change check settings of transmitter, receiver and the SBUS configuration (channel mapping) of the SFR-1.

If you still can't get it to work disable SBUS and connect the SFR-1 prop-channels to the receiver via patch cables.
SBUS problems are usually caused by wrong settings in the transmitter and/or receiver, or wrong channel mapping between SBUS and prop-channels in the SFR-1 configuration (SBUS channel 1 may not be the throttle channel, so it should not be mapped to Prop #1), this way it may be easier to set up and test the desired configuration first, and when everythings works as expected to activate SBUS afterwards only.
RayC

Beitrag von RayC »

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. You have great patience

My radio was also a bit messed up because it was straight out of the Box. Bob Jacobsen helped me out with that - I had missed his video on the FS-I6X. Bobs videos are great and he is the reason I went with Beier.

"Taim ar muin na muice anois" as we say in Ireland which translates to "I am on the pigs back now" in English

I have the data cable and can transfer project data and format the card.
I have motor, sound (switch on/off and vol dial), steering and gear change servo all working.
Now that it is working I have to experiment and understand in my head how it all works.

Is there somewhere where the flashing codes from the SRF1 lights are listed. I have done the Setup and have a solid green light. I also have a quick flashing blue light but I do not know if I should be concerned about this
- Servo outputs are not active (I had them active and that prompted my earlier question on factory reset)
- Prop 1 is Channel 3
- Prop 2 is Channel 1
- Prop 8 is Channel 8 Used for direct vol control
- Prop 10 is Channel 10 Switch engine sound on off (Short in Position A)
- "Engine Sound Fast Switching" is not ticked
Thanks again

Ray
Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

Hello Ray,
RayC hat geschrieben: Fr 17. Feb 2023, 12:20 Is there somewhere where the flashing codes from the SRF1 lights are listed. I have done the Setup and have a solid green light. I also have a quick flashing blue light but I do not know if I should be concerned about this
please see the manual linked in my previous post on page 50. As stated above green solid and blue flashing fast is ok, it indicates that the setup was successfully done and that the SFR-1 is receiving a sum signal (SBUS in your case).
- "Engine Sound Fast Switching" is not ticked
Normally it should be ticked, unless the following applies - from the manual page 64:
If the module is required to simulate a slow-revving engine (e.g. single-cylinder motor), fast switching should be deactivated.
RayC

Beitrag von RayC »

Is tusa an fear = You D Man!!

or (just in case :) because I cannot tell and would hate to assume )

Is tusa an bean = You D woman!!
Antworten