Sound setup for a excavator

Soundmodul für Fahrgeräusche (speziell für RC-Modelle). Der Nachfolger des USM-RC
waqr

Re: Sound setup for a excavator

Beitrag von waqr »

As usual I progressed a bit today but also took a few steps backwards :)

First I managed to get the squeeking sound to the tracks that I had on additional sound 3. However I had to remove the regular sound and add this squeeking sound to FG1 Normal in Engine sound tab section. Now it sounds great when going forward and reverse but I also would like to have some engine noise aswell and not just the squeeking sound. As you can hear the engine sound dissapeares when the excavator moves forward. How do I add some engine sound to the squeeking sound?

Also, I have sound to each movement as you can see but regardless of what setting I use I can`t get it to be correct. The setting as you can see in the video is loop/immidiate stop and it works fine when doing each movement separately but when joining them together it starts and stops all the time as you can hear. Sounds terrible! How can I remedy this?

It seems like the sound for the tourret roation is gone now, why is that?

See video and also my file uploaded

Many thanks in advance for your help.

https://youtu.be/5WG-YZsIqdQ
Dateianhänge
CAT excavator.usm
(38.64 KiB) 80-mal heruntergeladen
Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

Hello,
First I managed to get the squeeking sound to the tracks that I had on additional sound 3. However I had to remove the regular sound and add this squeeking sound to FG1 Normal in Engine sound tab section. Now it sounds great when going forward and reverse but I also would like to have some engine noise aswell and not just the squeeking sound. As you can hear the engine sound dissapeares when the excavator moves forward. How do I add some engine sound to the squeeking sound?
The engine sound consists of several "sub-"sounds - what you hear when there is no movement is the idle sound (standgeraeusch.wav). Once the throttle is engaged the sound switches to FG1 normal, which in your case is the squeeking sound (quitschen_01_kurz.wav).

Since Engine sound 2 is used for rotation I see two options:
1. Remove the idle sound and put that sound file into a free soundslot under Additional sound, then configure a Multi function with "Engine sound on/off" and "Additional sound #". Replace the function "Engine sound on/off" under Prop #8 with "Multi function #".
2. Mix quitschen_01_kurz.wav and fahrgeraeusch.wav into a single sound file (e.g. by using Audacity) which then can be placed into the FG1 normal slot.

Or consider this work-around:
  • Put fahrgeraeusch.wav in soundslot FG1 normal
  • Flatten the curve in the engine sound diagram along 100% (thus the sound will not change when throttle is engaged)
  • Put quitschen_01_kurz.wav in soundslot Cornering squeak (will only be played when cornering but you can decrease the threshold to make it more sensitive under Configuration > Engine sound > Engine sound > Threshold cornering squeak)
  • Instead of function "Additional sound 4" use function "Engine sound rpm change" (this should also solve the problem below)
However note that function "Engine sound rpm change" will currently have no effect since the value is set at 0% (Configuration > Engine sound > Engine sound), so you should increase this.
Also, I have sound to each movement as you can see but regardless of what setting I use I can`t get it to be correct. The setting as you can see in the video is loop/immidiate stop and it works fine when doing each movement separately but when joining them together it starts and stops all the time as you can hear. Sounds terrible! How can I remedy this?
If you are not going to use the work-around above try adding Additional sound 5 and 6, which you asked about before. Acually I am not sure this will work either since then the sounds will be started/played in parallel and may sound just as bad. But try it out please.

Else the only option I see is mixing channels (3 into 1) so that the sound will only be triggered by 1 channel, regardless how many movements happen simultaenously.
There is no trigger defined to switch Engine sound 2 on. Tick the box "Turn on engine sound automatically by motion" under Configuration > Engine sound > Engine sound 2. You can also set a delay for turning the sound off, though I guess 0 seconds would be fine since the sound should stop immediately when the rotation stops.
waqr

Beitrag von waqr »

Thanks for a very informative reply as always :)

I managed to have both sounds (engine and squeeking sound) to the tracks. What I did was that I removed the tourret rotation (ch 4, prop 3) from engine sound 2 and used an additional sound for this action instead. Then in engine sound 2 tab I put prop 1 in the "speed from engine box and now both sounds are playing when I move fwd and backwards. However, one issue is that I only have both sounds on one of the tracks on the other I still only have the squeeking sound. Does not really matter and is only noticble if I make a turn and the track with only sound is spinning but how could I get both sound on both tracks?

I am however not that pleased with the sounds, they do not sound that realistic to me. I have not installed the speaker properly yet so maybe this will remedy some of this but still I thought the sound would be more like a real excavator.

It must be many people here that is using this module for their Baggers. Seems very hard to get someone to share their setup or get any tips (except from you :) )

Why is that?
Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

Hello
waqr hat geschrieben: Mo 7. Jun 2021, 06:57 Thanks for a very informative reply as always :)
You are welcome.
... but how could I get both sound on both tracks?
Since Engine sound 2 can be controlled by one prop channel only so would need to mix the channels for the tracks in the transmitter and then use that mixed channel for Engine sound 2.
(You could also use that mixed channel for Engine sound 1 by changing the configuration to single motor.)

Else you may need to mix the sound files as mentioned in my previous post.
I am however not that pleased with the sounds, they do not sound that realistic to me. I have not installed the speaker properly yet so maybe this will remedy some of this but still I thought the sound would be more like a real excavator.
For a speaker to sound good it needs to be put in a box.
It must be many people here that is using this module for their Baggers. Seems very hard to get someone to share their setup or get any tips (except from you :) )

Why is that?
I assume because this is a manufacturer's forum rather than a general RC model forum, so most people come here for advise but won't stick around. There are some exceptions though but I think they don't own excavators.
Ralph Cornell

Beitrag von Ralph Cornell »

Have you tried this forum? http://www.rc-baustelle.de/index.php
waqr

Beitrag von waqr »

Thanks, I will register there :)
waqr

Beitrag von waqr »

Rascal hat geschrieben: Mo 7. Jun 2021, 13:07 Hello
waqr hat geschrieben: Mo 7. Jun 2021, 06:57 Thanks for a very informative reply as always :)
You are welcome.
... but how could I get both sound on both tracks?
Since Engine sound 2 can be controlled by one prop channel only so would need to mix the channels for the tracks in the transmitter and then use that mixed channel for Engine sound 2.
(You could also use that mixed channel for Engine sound 1 by changing the configuration to single motor.)

Else you may need to mix the sound files as mentioned in my previous post.
For a speaker to sound good it needs to be put in a box.

Why is that?
I assume because this is a manufacturer's forum rather than a general RC model forum, so most people come here for advise but won't stick around. There are some exceptions though but I think they don't own excavators.
Thanks again. I think I have managed to get a proper sound out of the machine now. I have actually downloaded a few sounds from Youtube and converted them and I def think that is the way to go :)

Again, major thanks for all help. Without your assistance I wouldn`t have been able to use this module :)
Ralph Cornell

Beitrag von Ralph Cornell »

I have already referred to the USM-RC-2 as the "egg-laying woolly milk pig" in various forums. It takes some inspiration to take advantage of all the options, but it pays off. And the help of this forum is priceless if you don't know what to do next.
waqr

Beitrag von waqr »

Ralph Cornell hat geschrieben: Fr 11. Jun 2021, 08:21 I have already referred to the USM-RC-2 as the "egg-laying woolly milk pig" in various forums. It takes some inspiration to take advantage of all the options, but it pays off. And the help of this forum is priceless if you don't know what to do next.
I did register but it seem like the account needs a confirmaton by the moderators since I cant post anything on the forum. Do you know how I should proceed? Hard to know since everything is in German :)
waqr

Beitrag von waqr »

Rascal hat geschrieben: So 6. Jun 2021, 14:21 Hello,
The engine sound consists of several "sub-"sounds - what you hear when there is no movement is the idle sound (standgeraeusch.wav). Once the throttle is engaged the sound switches to FG1 normal, which in your case is the squeeking sound (quitschen_01_kurz.wav).

Since Engine sound 2 is used for rotation I see two options:
1. Remove the idle sound and put that sound file into a free soundslot under Additional sound, then configure a Multi function with "Engine sound on/off" and "Additional sound #". Replace the function "Engine sound on/off" under Prop #8 with "Multi function #".
2. Mix quitschen_01_kurz.wav and fahrgeraeusch.wav into a single sound file (e.g. by using Audacity) which then can be placed into the FG1 normal slot.

Or consider this work-around:
  • Put fahrgeraeusch.wav in soundslot FG1 normal
  • Flatten the curve in the engine sound diagram along 100% (thus the sound will not change when throttle is engaged)
  • Put quitschen_01_kurz.wav in soundslot Cornering squeak (will only be played when cornering but you can decrease the threshold to make it more sensitive under Configuration > Engine sound > Engine sound > Threshold cornering squeak)
  • Instead of function "Additional sound 4" use function "Engine sound rpm change" (this should also solve the problem below)
However note that function "Engine sound rpm change" will currently have no effect since the value is set at 0% (Configuration > Engine sound > Engine sound), so you should increase this.
If you are not going to use the work-around above try adding Additional sound 5 and 6, which you asked about before. Acually I am not sure this will work either since then the sounds will be started/played in parallel and may sound just as bad. But try it out please.

Else the only option I see is mixing channels (3 into 1) so that the sound will only be triggered by 1 channel, regardless how many movements happen simultaenously.
There is no trigger defined to switch Engine sound 2 on. Tick the box "Turn on engine sound automatically by motion" under Configuration > Engine sound > Engine sound 2. You can also set a delay for turning the sound off, though I guess 0 seconds would be fine since the sound should stop immediately when the rotation stops.
So if I do like this then will I have the idle sound at the same time as the squeeking sound on both tracks?

I have freed up Engine sound 2 since the rotation is now handled by pop 3 (channel 4). In engine sound 2 tab (under configuration) I put prop 1 as the speed from channel. In engine sound tab 2 (the regular one) I have only one sound and that is the idle sound.

See file attached.
Dateianhänge
cat.usm
(38.52 KiB) 79-mal heruntergeladen
Antworten