Servo steering on trailer

Lichtmodule für Auflieger und Anhänger
Antworten
Jimmy777

Servo steering on trailer

Beitrag von Jimmy777 »

I have a trailer that I want to use the steeringfunction on with a servo. I tried reading and at one place it said to connect the steering (on the truck) with a Y connector to the USM-2 and some other very weird explanation.

On my reciver channel 4 is used for steering the truck. What do I connect to make the servo on the trailer work at the same time?

I have tried connecting from the reciver (channel 4) with Y cable to the servo (on truck) and then to USM2 X2/2 I already using the other X2/2 for static (blinkers on the truck).

Now the servo on the truck moves by itself byt the function works tho. But why is the servo on the truck moving? I am sure I did something wrong.
Rascal

Re: Servo steering on trailer

Beitrag von Rascal »

Hello Jimmy,

a standard connection would look like this:
  • Receiver steering channel > USM-RC-2 X2/2a (Prop #2)
  • USM-RC-2 X2/2b (Prop #2) > steering servo truck
  • SM-IR-16-2 X5/1 (IR Servo #1) > steering servo trailer
SM-IR-16-2 X5/2 (IR Servo #2) can be used instead if servo output #1 is already occupied.
.... and then to USM2 X2/2 I already using the other X2/2 for static (blinkers on the truck).
The two X2/2 headers (suffixed "a" and "b" above) are wired in parallel and thus function just like a Y-cable.
So the connection between your receiver channel #4 and X2/2 can be kept as it matches the standard configuration.

In your case just connect the truck's steering servo to X2/2, too, without using the Y-cable.

[When you can't use X2/2 for some reason, e.g. in a dual motor configuration, and since X2/3 & X2/4 have single headers only you can't connect the receiver channel and a servo to those prop channels on the USM, then a Y-cable would be needed.]

When the connections have been made open the sound teacher, go to Configuration > Light module > Light module Servo 1+2 > Light module Servo 1 and select "Prop #2" for "Direct control with:".
Now the steering channel on Prop #2 is linked with servo output #1 of the light module; with the "%" setting you can scale the servo travel, negative values will reverse the direction.

Also note the new function "(LM:) Servo x home position" in V1.90:
The direct servo control can be deactivated via the "Servo x home position" function. The servo then remains in the home position as long as this function is activated. This is useful, for example, for switchable, steerable [lift] axles.
The home position would then typically be the neutral position, i.e. 1.500 ms.

For more details see pages 58 and 88 to 89 of the manual.
Jimmy777

Beitrag von Jimmy777 »

I finally got it working.

Thanks ..... YAAAYYYY :D :D :D
Jimmy777

Beitrag von Jimmy777 »

If I would get a UFR-1230 speed controller. I can then use X2 on the speed controller instead of on USM-2?
Will the X 2 on the USM-2 be free to use if I use the ones on the speed controller? Or they all connected in a way?

The main reason is that Im having issus with my speed controller that is built by a friend.
Rascal

Beitrag von Rascal »

Happy New Year!

X2 on the UFR-1230 is dedicated to the steering and not linked to X2/2 of the USM, so that would be free to use if you establish the infrared (IR) connection via the UFR to control the blinkers and steering servo in the trailer.

Since the light module can only connect to the UFR or USM you need to plan your lights carefully, i.e. which lights will be connected to the UFR (and as such can also be transferred to the trailer via the IR connection) and which lights will be connected to the USM only.
Typically all lights that only exist at the front of the truck would connect to the USM, e.g. low & high beam / combined headlights, bending lights, fog light. Others to the UFR (max. 8 outputs).

If the IR connection is made via the UFR some features of the USM cannot be used in combination with the light module, e.g.
- any function that is controlled via the USM prop channels, USM nautic, USM EKMFA or USM SBUS/SUMD
- any function that is triggered via the USM inputs X1/4 to X1/7
- light module outputs included in output sequences
- light module functions ("LM: ...") included in multi-functions or function sequences
Antworten